Pack it in. Pack it out.
It is important to remember that what you’ll be packing to bring on to the boat, you’ll have to repack once your trip is over. We recommend packing as light as possible. Additionally, you may want to consider bringing a foldable cart with you for transporting items to limit how many trips you’ll need to make.
Paper or Plastic?
When packing your food and drinks, it’s a good idea to consider minimal packaging whenever possible. The less waste you generate, the less you’ll need to deal with after your trip. We have a recycling station in the marina, so be sure to take advantage of it. It is a good idea to avoid glass containers, particularly in items that will be discarded. Try to select compact and non-breakable packaging for your houseboat trip.
A trick that some houseboaters use to extend the life of their frozen food by using ice-chests with regular and dry-ice. This trick will allow your frozen goods to be ready to thaw later in your vacation. This method will also help save you room in your onboard refrigerator so you can keep more essential food items cooled there instead.
Houseboat Gear: Top 10 Items
- Sunscreen / Tanning Oil – you’re going to need plenty of it, even during the cooler and more cloudy days. Waterproof sunscreen is also highly suggested!
- Beach Towels – one for every few days that you are on the lake.
- Digital Camera or Camcorder – a vacation this great needs proof. Don’t forget to bring the charger!
- Favorite Spices – everyone has their favorite grilling and cooking recipes. Bring your favorite spices from home, the houseboat only includes salt and pepper.
- Ice – see our Frozen Goods section above for more info on this. Ice is available for purchase at all of our marinas.
- Hiking Boots or Shoes – there’s so much to discover along the shores at every lake, so be sure to bring appropriate footwear.
- Ski Vests – bring your own personal ski vest or purchase a ski vest at the Marina Store.
- Water – you’re going to get thirsty with all the fun you’ll be having!
- Music Player – all of our houseboats come equipped with music-player connections. Keep the good times rolling with your favorite tunes!
- First Aid Kit – all of our houseboats come equipped with first aid kits, but you know your guests best! Make sure to pack whatever you think you may need in case of an emergency.
Send us your favorite tips!
Have a favorite houseboating tip you’d like to share? Send it to us at Forever Resorts and we’ll share it.