Top Menu Ideas for Your Houseboat Vacation
For many travelers, one of the most enjoyable aspects of a houseboat vacation is cooking onboard the boat. Preparing your meals and cooking them while you are on the houseboat allows you to enjoy quality time with those you are traveling with in a relaxed, comfortable and home-like atmosphere. When your meal is finished, you can dine on the deck and enjoy the panoramic views. There’s nothing quite like private, waterfront dining.
At Cottonwood Cove Resort and Marina, we have compiled a list of menu ideas to help you begin meal planning for your houseboat vacation.
What to Bring to Prepare Food on the Houseboat
Fortunately, all you really need to bring is the food (and your favorite spices) to cook on board your houseboat. When you rent a houseboat from Cottonwood Cove Resort and Marina, you will enjoy a gourmet kitchen that is fully stocked with the appliances and utensils that you need for your stay. In addition to having a microwave, refrigerator, oven, stove and coffee pot, you will also have additional utensils such as a mixing bowl set, cookware set, skillet, serving platter, dinner plates, and utensils. Our boats are equipped with everything you need to prepare easy meals to enjoy on your houseboat.
What Do You Cook on a Houseboat?
Some people who are interested in renting a houseboat on Lake Mohave wonder what they can cook on their houseboat. The answer is simple: You can essentially cook anything you would like on your houseboat. Houseboating is no different than renting a vacation home or cabin for the week. It is equipped with many of the conveniences and luxuries that you are accustomed to, which makes it easy for you to cook your own meals onboard the boat.
There are some travelers who dock their boats occasionally and visit our marina store and cafe, but more so, people prepare and cook all of their meals onboard the boat.
The Best Houseboat Snacks to Bring
As you begin to prepare your packing list for your houseboat vacation, you might want to consider which houseboat snacks you want to have with you for the journey. These are some of the best houseboat snacks to bring:
- Trail Mix — This awesome snack is ideal for those who are planning to spend a week on a houseboat because it can be substituted for breakfast or lunch if needed. Create your own trail mix using a variety of nuts, raisins, dry cereal, and chocolate candies.
- String Cheese — This is another easy snack that is packed with protein and will help fuel you for your vacation. A large bag is affordable to purchase and easy to store in your refrigerator on board the boat.
- Microwave Popcorn — This snack is cheap to purchase and easy to pack, and is an awesome treat to enjoy while you are sitting on the deck in the evening having conversation and looking up at the endless stars above.
- Fruit Snacks — If you are bringing little ones on board the houseboat, you can never have too many packages of fruit snacks. These yummy treats are filled with the vitamins and nutrients that kids require, yet they are not messy.
The houseboat snacks that you pack can also double as hiking snacks, which is a favorite activity among those who rent houseboats on Lake Mohave.
The Top Breakfast Ideas for Your Houseboat Vacation
As the old adage goes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you have a day of adventures planned around Lake Mohave, then you will certainly want to nourish yourself onboard your houseboat before you head off to your activities. These are a few of the top breakfast ideas for your houseboat vacation:
- Cereal, Cereal Bars or Granola Bars — It’s a simple breakfast idea, but it’s an awesome way to keep it simple and enjoy a quick meal before you go swimming, fishing or hiking.
- Scrambled Eggs and Meat — This is a popular camping breakfast and one that works well for those on a houseboat. You can bring a couple dozen eggs on board the boat at the beginning of the week, and scramble up a few each morning. Add a side of sausage, bacon or ham, and you have a well-rounded breakfast to serve everyone.
Planning for Lunch on the Houseboat
Whether you are taking a break from the action or you have enjoyed a leisurely morning soaking up the sun on the deck, you will want to make sure you can prepare a quick and delicious lunch on the houseboat. These lunch ideas are perfect for any type of houseboat traveler:
- Subs and Chips — Sub sandwiches are always a hit, and when you have a refrigerator on board, you can keep all of the supplies you need handy. Sandwiches and chips make for a fast and filling lunch.
- Mason Jar Salads — Those that prefer leafy, green lunches can prepare mason jar salads prior to boarding the houseboat. You can layer these salads with a variety of toppings, such as cheese, chopped vegetables, nuts or eggs. Bring your own dressings to finish off the meal before serving.
- Hot Dogs and Hamburgers — Grilling is one of the easiest ways to cook on a houseboat. Hot dogs and hamburgers are a fulfilling lunch that everyone can enjoy.
Easy Meals for Dinner on the Houseboat
Whether you want to plan a romantic waterfront dinner or a fun, family-friendly dining experience, you may be interested in these easy meals for dinner:
- Steak and Potatoes — Couples who are searching for romance will love enjoying steak and potatoes on the grill. This allows you to bring the fine dining experience to the private quarters of your houseboat.
- Quesadillas — Everyone can have what they want when you make these cheesy concoctions. Bring a variety of fillings to offer, such as cooked chicken, chopped peppers, olives, and onions.
- Chili — This is an ideal dinner option for those who will be away from the boat for the day. Prep the chili in advance, then simply warm it up once you are back and ready for dinner.
For many, the act of dining onboard the houseboat is one of the most memorable aspects of the entire vacation. To learn more about the houseboat vacation experience, contact Cottonwood Cove Resort and Marina today.